View Single Post
Old 11-23-2016, 08:38 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
I take full responsibility for my actions! Avgas has the added benefit of being leaded (or at least low lead), and as mentioned earlier it adds a layer of protection to the parts that smash and bash. I'm just fine gassing up with the high-test stuff at the local QT. Yeah, the engine probably doesn't notice a difference, but I still think of it as cheap insurance to get a better and more reliable swig of fuel in the tank. With my next statement, I'm likely to ignite a firestorm though. Ethanol really doesn't do damage to the engine or components if you cycle through it with fresh gas regularly. It's only when ethanol-laden gas sits that the nasties really come out. I have only my own experience to speak of, and would gladly hear anyone else's points on it. In the meantime, I hope everyone has a fantastic turkey day!
Ethanol doesn't hurt the engine itself. Its what is does to the rubber hoses, rubber seat on the float valve and the rubber intake manifold. It will harden the rubber and eventually crack. It might take 2 years but it will happen. I have replaced the intake and carburetor on a friend of mines go kart 3 times. And each time I do I tell him to stop using Ethanol fuel he just ignores me and keeps on using it. He said the Ethanol free gas is too expensive. and I reply back so this carburetor, intake and my labor are not. Maybe I need to charge you more. lol I have chainsaws, weed eaters and lawn mowers that are over 15 years old and these have the hoses, carburetors that have never been replaced. But I have replaced a lot on other peoples equipment. So when I ask them if they use ethanol fuel the answer was always yes. Once they changed and started using ethanol free fuel they had no more issues. I know I put myself out of work lol. Now don't argue with an old man! Happy Thanksgiving right back at you.
Added information on Ethanol http://www.fuel-testers.com/ethanol_...ms_damage.html
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Last edited by JerryHawk250; 11-23-2016 at 12:43 PM.