View Single Post
Old 12-30-2016, 12:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomalak007 View Post
Hello! I am thinking of buying a hawk. I've watched a lot of videos on it and read much on this forum. I just have a few questions!

I am thinking of ordering from apscusa.com, are they ok to order from?

Will it be able to be registered street legal in NY? I've read a lot that people had good luck doing so, but would be pissed if I bought this and then was unable to register!

What's your honest opinion on this bike? Is it a POS? I'm mechanically inclined and don't mind tinkering but I also don't want it breaking down on me in the middle of nowhere. Do you guys think it will last if properly maintained?
Probably a no go for NY nowadays. I wouldn't purchase one for NY. From the enthusiastic members here, this bike is probably one of the best bargains out there, and would probably most likely NOT strand you at any time (depending on how you beat on it), but NY used to plate these, and then someone had no luck plating their's, and that was the last time I read about NY (I think it was upstate, and if memory serves me, the DMV did register it as an off-road bike).

Member 'SANY' from NY did not order one because of registration uncertainties, and ordered a Bashan Brozz 250 instead. Actually, he ordered a Bashan Storm, and the dealer sent him a Brozz, but that is another tale for another time. Where the Hawk is rough around the edges and needs a few tweaks here and there (as well as a digital dash), the Brozz comes smooth(er) and digital-dash-ier, for a few hundred dollars more. More recently, member 'letsride' bought a leftover 2014 Brozz, and posted about it and how much he loves it. I would steer you in that direction rather than a Hawk--just for the registration uncertainties, although the bonus is the Bashan bikes seem to generally be great bikes, too, like the Hawk, but slightly more expensive. In your case, quoting a famous Seinfeld episode--"No Hawk for you!"

`

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard