View Single Post
Old 08-01-2019, 09:28 PM   #7

RX3 trip

Hi there -

Thanks for posting your ideas and feedback.

I don't know 100% what I am taking just yet. I am in the process of purchasing all the gear I think I will need, then place it all on the bike, and see what I can take off, and leave. That is the plan for now.

If I was to do cooking, it would be a tiny little stove. Maybe those cooking tablet kind. I do have one of those, but some campsites people cannot use fire. So, a little tiny gas stove would have to be used.

Hotels: That would be ideal, however, at $50-$100 / night on the low end, to use every night would be nearly $3,000 in cost for me. I don't know if I totally have that, otherwise, I would have to save a little more money.

Hammacks: I have considered that as they are lighter and smaller in space. I will consider it and see if I can make it work. However, the wife will probably want to sleep in a sleeping bag next to me.

Luggage space: Sure send me some pics. I will PM you. Thanks!

Water: I will be going through the desert in a couple of places and some out in the bonnies areas. Thanks for the tip.

2-UP riding: I know the RX3 is underpowered at 25hp. That is a huge downside to the bike, but there are other positives of the bike which are good. My main issue has just been to be able to do better than 50-55mph which is what my BASHAN - STORM can do. So, the RX3 which can do better than 55mph and cruise at 70'ish, would be find. However, the lack of power going up and down the hills and mountains will be a problem. BUT - thats all part of the adventure.

REST: Thanks for pointing out the every 2-days. Dang. I did not consider that, and have tried to find out blogs and posts which have not been easy to find which talks about that. Keep in mind - THIS IS MY FIRST TRIP.

Waterproofing: Thanks for your comment. I will not have to worry too much.

Thanks for your comments and help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenselessOverloadi View Post
Alot of questions there!

Do you know what you're planning on taking? 2 up plus cooking and camping equipment is a lot of shit. 100% possible but I'd seriously consider hopping between hotels. Also consider a couple of hammocks if you're going to be camping in wooded areas. If you are set on camping, I'd seriously consider the hobo life - 2-3 days for boxers, 2 for socks, week+ for shirts (smell test everything). Pm me and i can send you some pics of my bike, i can suggest a few ways to eek out more luggage space for free/cheap.

I always try to carry enough water for 2 days on the bike (4l), maybe just 6l with 2. I go to remote places though where you only see a handful of people in a day, if you're on the beaten track it's less important.

Also, riding on trails 2up can be ok but anything other than "smooth" dirt roads won't be a huge amount of fun for either of you. Riding on pavement is obviously much more comfortable but you'll probably find yourself wishing for more HP, particularly at altitude and going up mountains. Though, smooth dirt can be good fun 2up.

300 M per day 2up is a good amount on pavement, its alot for off road. Sometimes i ride a everyday for a week, sometimes a road will ruin you after 2 days and you have to rest. It is a "skill", and does increase quite slowly so for the first couple of weeks you will probably want a rest every 2 days.

My bike has crossed 60cm deep rivers and ridden through torrential rain without any problems, i think it's waterproof enough.

Moto Aventure ride 2020.

"If everyone is thinking the same thing, no one is thinking." Gen. Patton.

-2017 Suzuki SV650
-2015 BASHAN - STORM
Current mods: LED headlight & tail light, LED fog light, JT 428-130 chain, 47t rear sprocket, 4-fuse box, oil-cooler, CSC TT205 hand controls, 32" handlebars, aftermarket 295mm rear shock, digital speedo & tach, USB/12 volt accessory; painted flat-black.
-2005 Skyteam ST90 (sitting in pieces)
-2003 Buell Blast - SOLD