View Single Post
Old 06-19-2023, 02:45 PM   #2

Kind of confused reading your post, but I'll give it a shot. Valve lash can be checked with the rockers anywhere on the cam except on the cam lobe itself. Generally, lash should be checked at TDC on the compression stroke because both rockers will be on the round part of the cam, and not the lobe. It just makes it easier from a maintenance perspective. The valves were probably way out of spec from the factory, and in your case they were out of spec in the way that did you the most good. Most of us have bikes that came from the factor with absolutely zero play. In any event, if you've made the adjustment (and remembered to check it twice) and everything is running well, you'll probably be just fine. Remember, tappy valves are happy valves. You should be able to hear a little valvetrain noise when the engine is running. I run my valves at 0.04" on the intake side and 0.06" on the exhaust side. Since the intake valve constantly has the cooler fuel/air charge, it can be a bit tighter. Please note that's in INCHES, not MM. 0.05mm is just a touch under 0.02". That's way too tight for these engines. Hope this helps you out some!

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up