View Single Post
Old 06-04-2015, 03:05 PM   #1

Loose Tight Loose Tight Chain

HOORAY

I have posted in a few threads an ongoing problem with my bike since day one. The loose tight loose tight chain as the wheel spins. The chain so loose at its loosest point it was flopping around and I was afraid it would jump off sprocket.

Today I have had the biggest breakthrough since owning my bike.

First of all I purchased a chain spring loaded tensioner thinking that would take care of the flopping chain, it didn't work for me. Then I purchased a new DID chain and installed it and that didn't fix it.

I have always adjusted the chain as I learned on YouTube using the chain tensioners at the wheel axle and adjusting the tension and making sure the tensioner guide marks are the same/even on both sides of the wheel.

Well today after frustration of the issue not being fixed I was checking everything out. I was about 10 feet behind the bike down on the ground level with the chain and with the bike running in gear with the wheel spinning I could clearly see the back sprocket and front sprocket were not lined up and the chain was flexing off to the side by a few degrees.

I turned the bike off and loosened every nut and bolt that has anything to do with holding the wheel on. I forced the wheel and sprocket into a straight position getting back behind the bike over and over checking to see if everything was lined up. When I thought I had everything lined up pretty good I tightened everything just enough to hold the wheel in place. The thing is the chain tensioner hash marks are now way off, by like a few marks different from each side of the wheel.

I started the bike, put it in gear and the improvement was instantaneous. The sprockets and chain are all lined up and the floppy chain is significantly reduced, less vibration of the bike, less noise from the bike. And this is all while up on the center stand sitting still.

Tightened everything down and took it for a ride and the ride feel is significantly improved. The bike just feels smoother and tighter.

What I learned from this is the YouTube videos are good for learning how to maintain your $15,000.00 Japanese bike. Our Chinese bikes require a little more ingenuity and intuitive thinking. I already new this but I was trusting those hash marks on the chain tensioner were within spec. Every video I have watched said to make sure the hash marks are lined up each side. The Chinese obviously didn't watch the same videos I did.

Bike runs/rides so much better now.

/