View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #12

Odd Problem: not mushy brake, but always-on brake

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem with their front brake. My problem is that there is so much pressure in the brake line, that the brake is always on. The brake lever becomes so stiff that you can barely budge it. The pads are engaging with no action from the rider.

I have to stop and do an emergency road-side bleed after or during every ride. Otherwise, the brake is on and I'm pushing a "snow plow." I have been bleeding the brake for the past year since this problem arose. I have replaced everything but the cable--caliper, master cylinder, pads. The last item replaced was a new caliper...about a month ago. No change. Wheel still locks up. I can loosen the two top bolts on the back, top of the caliper. It relieves the pressure on the pads and the front wheel will spin freely, but that's not a wise thing to do since I can't keep the bolts from backing out.

I just bled the brakes the other day along side the road and decided to let a little air into the line--allowing the lever to draw a small gulp of air in while pumping the lever and draining the fluid reservoir dry. That seems to have worked (for now). I have a much better feel and the brake isn't locking up. However, the pads squeal and squeek very loudly on braking. (which has always been a problem...I really don't care about that)

Fluid movement in the system doesn't seem to be the problem; it works just fine. There wasn't any air in the system (until I let it in). I just don't understand "where" all this pressure is coming from?

Other than allowing air back into the system so I can continue to ride, I don't have any clue what the problem is? Any suggestions???