View Single Post
Old 11-26-2022, 01:53 PM   #11

exploration choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Third, Anyone that wants a really capable road bike should look into a 400cc or above engine. I have ridden big bore 4 cylinder bikes for my entire life, and NONE of these dual purpose 250s are really good road bikes. Sure, you can get from here to there dependably, but these days, highways are populated with big quadcab trucks, massive SUVs, all driving like a bat out of hell! It is not a pleasant experience unless you have the power to dominate when you need (600cc plus!!!)

... don't let anyone tell you that any 4 stroke 250 dual purpose is "comfortable" on the road for more than an hour or two!

If you are on two lane side roads and don't have to face Interstate traffic, then a 250cc bike might work for you. The only question after that is do you want knobbies and be able to survive on anything worse than hard pack with a little loose gravel or sand, or dual purpose tires, and stay away from the real fun off-road (beyond the dirt road on the trails). Don't expect a dual purpose bike to take you there! If you want a smoother ride, and willing to forego that off-road stuff, well, you know what to buy
Thanks - for taking the time to summarize that; it's really useful (cycle market) confirmation of what I've been suspecting, as a newcomer (at 71!), simply looking to explore ...

Just learning, I've been dismayed at the INflexibility of cycles and, especially, cycle tires; SO surface-specific ... hardly conducive to exploring.

The line between dual-sport vs. light Adventure bikes poses the decisions you mentioned in your last two sentences. Though unpaved backroad exploring might be the goal, reality is that some two-lane pavement is, often, a prerequisite.