View Single Post
Old 11-27-2022, 12:56 PM   #13

how much suspension travel is REALLY needed?

This video astonished me!

The video suggests that the rider is just a trail buddy i.e. not some pro, hired by the factory for an ad. Granted, this guy (black jacket) can REALLY ride; but, nevertheless, it got me thinking about what bikes can really do, when standing on the pegs, letting the bike 'float' under you. Suspension travel (5.1"/5.8") and ground clearance (7.1") specs suggest that a Versys X-300 has no business doing/attempting this! ??? What this guy is doing without suspension travel, measured in yards/meters, is astounding!

Why look at the Versys X-300? ... because sometimes lengthy highway riding is required to get to scenic backroads. I haven't seen/read of many willing to do that on an enduro bike with lights and a plate on it.

Maybe I can find some ~50/50 (or so) tire that can bite enough into loose surface and still be ridden (gingerly) on pavement without squirming out from under the bike in corners? Putting along at 60 mph on a highway is fine by me; at 71 I don't care if the whole world is passing me! I'm thinking, 'The slower you go, the more you see (other than the road/path)!' I suffer from wanderlust - not ego!

If I were content to trailer a bike, why not just ride the Jeep, leaving the bike at home? ... a LOT more comfortable than riding in a 'space suit' (for protection) in heat/cold.