View Single Post
Old 11-01-2023, 11:30 PM   #17

Well... alright, I learned some things this evening.

First, about the headlight bulb. I don't have much to compare to, but at least compared to just having a more car-centric LED in there where the light scatters all over the place, the beam pattern is in fact somewhat defined and focused by comparison. But the light is not quite as bright or focused as I'd ideally have; I think it's still limited by that stock housing as there is a lot of light bleed around it. I think the low beam, at least, is enough to be safe and has a clean upper edge that can be aimed right where you want it.

When the high beam activates, you are almost no better off than if you had just shut off the headlight entirely. I do not say this as an exaggeration. Over the long stretch of completely dark, 2-lane road, I was able to detect a hint of a beam somewhere out there... but it was so far up, I'm surprised a UFO did not flash some high beams right back at me. I only could detect a glimmer of the high beam due to a moment of it catching trees in the distance.

The amount you would need to aim your headlight down to compensate, I believe your regular beam would be on the ground at all times. I do wonder if, though it would reverse the hi and lo beams, maybe this type of headlight truly would work better upside down in our Templar headlight assemblies. I'll stick to pondering on that one rather than messing with it further.

Ramblings of an unrelated nature
Let me tell ya that even if you hear gasoline sloshing, and even if your trip meter is only showing 84 miles, if your motor-sicle seems to need a bunch of choke for no reason, starts having electrical issues like the headlight going on and off along with turning on its own high beam, ride your ass to a gas station because the Templar X has NO USABLE RESERVE when you switch that petcock over to it, and no matter how unlikely it seems, YOU ARE OUT OF FUEL!

I may have accidentally cleared the ol' trip meter at some point, and I guess the sloshing may have been more of a light splashing? What I do know is all issues vanished once I walked the motorcycle to the gas station and filled it up. Then I finally went riding around to test the stupid headlight before riding back to the house. Wasn't gonna abort this mission just because I fell for the old, "It ain't got no gas in it," trick.