View Single Post
Old 06-22-2017, 02:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
This is what I had in mind:

That piece would help the chain rubbing the swing arm but most of the rubbing occurs on the frame when the shock compresses (eg: hitting a large bump).

Trying to figure how to attach the teflon roller unit to the frame is going to be challenge. I might be able to use a couple of U-bolts and wrap the roller guide around the frame.

The frame appears to be ferrous material because a magnet will stick to but where the paint has rubbed off, there is no rust so it make me wonder if it's some sort of alloy or "dirty" aluminum.

When I mean "dirty aluminium" sometimes aluminum will have traces of steel in it. I used to work in a lab at my job and one day I placed one of those aluminum sample pans on a magnetic stirrer and it rotated. I asked my lab boss how aluminum could possibly be magnetic and he said they were most likely made from scrap aluminum that had traces of steel in it.

Apparently steel will somewhat mix with aluminum but only in small amounts.

I'm afraid to weld on this frame. Normally my welds hold up but when I tried welding that axle back together, it's as if the welding wire did not stick very well to the metal the axle was made of and it broke while knocking the wheel on to the hub.

I'm sure I've posted this before but 14 seconds into this video, take a look at the chain guide I made for this bike:

The chain kept flying off it when I'd hit a bump so I found this piece of Teflon at work and fabricated a bracket to bolt onto the swing arm where a flare used to go. It's worked pretty good. I have lots of this scrap Teflon material that was left over after they rebuild our washers. I just have to figure out some way to attach it to the atv's suspension.