View Single Post
Old 07-12-2021, 10:48 PM   #770

Planning on doing some service work on the old girl this week. It's been pretty neglected since Arpok showed up. I noticed that the last time I rode it that the front brake felt strange so I decided to flush the master cylinder this evening. Probably a good thing.

Besides the fluid having turned brown, I found the relief hole in master cylinder partially plugged with crud. The only thing small enough I have to unplug the hole are the needles to my diabetic meds. I think they are something like 32ga. Sacrificed one of those.

You'd think that bleeding a one pot caliper would be easy. After pharting around for almost two hours and using nearly every tool in my arsenal of brake equipment, including two different Mity-Vacs, I hit on using a 50cc transfer syringe with out the bleeder cup. This one had never been used, so it was really vacuum tight. I put one end of the hose on the bleeder valve and the other end on the syringe, then pulled. It took almost 2 minutes with a steady pull on the syringe before I got the bubble, more like a balloon, out of the caliper. After that, everything worked like it should.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts