View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 07:54 PM   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
I guess it's a matter of riding need. Of course, a true "dual sport" has a 21/18 combo, with aggressive knobbies like a dirt bike. What I like about the 19/17 setup is it's much more friendly for twisty pavement, like where I live. It's more of a "super-moto" or motard set up as opposed to a purpose-built dirt bike. Much better without the aggressive knobbies on the twisty pavement, but still capable of trails and dirt roads.
I just don't ride where and how I used to.... The TT250 has the 21/18...but I'm glad it came with the less aggressive dual sport-type tires. It still does very well on the pavement.
Hey guys, I don't have any compaints about a 19" front, I rode thousands of miles off-road on the California desert with that front. On my AJS 350. When I moved to Michigan, it still worked, not as well, but ok. When I got to Massachusetts and New York, I didn't have that ole Ajay any more. But I still had my 250 Ajay. It was mounted on 17" rims, fore and aft, and they sucked. They weren't even that good on gravel roads. On soft terrain, any wheel spin and the rear was buried. Worked good on cement or asphalt though. I sold that bike on down the road and got a Yamaha DT-175. My DT-175 came with those zoot piggyback rear shocks, and 4.00X18 rear and a 2.75X21 front. That combination really worked in Northern NY State. And now, to teak your noses a little, my beloved Ariel Red Hunter 350 came with a 2.50X22 front, and a 3.50X20 rear. That worked well, too.