View Single Post
Old 06-02-2018, 04:19 PM   #1

Breaking into the locked gas cap

So I pulled into a gas station today, put my key in to the gas tank and hear a snap/click noise. The key didn't break, it looks fine, unworn, goes in and out smoothly. It also turns 90 degrees smoothly, with no tension at all, and therefor doesn't unlock the cap. Something in the lock mechanism has broken, maybe a spring. So I can't put anymore gas in, so I'm rather stranded mid-trip.

I think I have enough gas that I can get to a city tomorrow where there might be a locksmith. I'm not sure if that would help or not, but its the best option for now. If the connection between the turnkey and the lock retraction is broke, then I don't see a locksmith or a screwdriver working. If that doesn't work, who has suggestions??

I already tried removing the 7 allen bolts in the ring, but to no avail- after a call to CSC I found there are actually 8, with the 8th being under the gas cap. The locking mechanism looks very robust, and too much prying might damage the tank. I'm also worried that if I do break into it, there will not be a seal to keep the tank pressurized. I don't know what effect this will have, but possibly the bike won't run at all, or not with any performance??

At any rate, even if I have to replace the whole cap with a new one, I first have to get into it to remove the 8th bolt. If I have to break stuff, I'm thinking to try and snap the hinge pin with a flathead and hammer. Any advice is welcomed!