View Single Post
Old 02-23-2017, 04:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgringo View Post
So I got a used Hawk 250 with only 250 miles on it last October. I've put about 200 on it since then. Lots of mods and updates, new chain, sprockets, Mikune carburetor, tires....
The big question I have is regarding the crankcase blow by valve. The guy I got it from had a PCV on it. (tube from the crank case to the PCV which was mounted, poorly, in the space in front of the rear tire and engine) It came loose and the chain actually rubbed a hole in it over the course of a few rides. I removed it and ran the hose from the crankcase blow by valve to what I believe is the now unused air box under the seat. I can wipe out oil that collects in that reservoir. There is a nozzle there that the original owner plugged up with silicone. I think blow by valves in older cars just spat the excess gas/oil via a tube under the vehicle. (the Mikune carburetor's air intake/filter is outside this box, behind the right side panel. It doesn't untilize that box, if that is what it is for)
The big question I have is, what was the original configuration of the blow by valve/venting? Did the original blow by valve have have a tube running out of it? Was there a filter on the end of the tube? I can order parts from a place in Dallas, TX, but I'm not even sure how to refer to it.
Thanks for any help. I've enjoyed reading the forum.
someone posted in a "hawk mods" post a fix for this that wasnt a pvc but i cant remember who. it involved put a ss pot scubber in the triangular space where the tube entered the airbox and putting a sealled tube on the other side that collected any oil. kinda slick and thats what im going to do when i get time.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250