View Single Post
Old 11-02-2015, 10:57 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by pismocycleguy View Post
Are the engines in the RX-3 Cyclone and the TT 250 also knock offs of Honda's?
Can you tell me from which Honda model of bikes did these two engines originate?
Spud filled you in on the RX-3.

The TT 250 is like the vast majority of China bikes, in that the motor is based on the Honda CG125. That bike never landed on our shores, but it has been extremely popular in South Asia, South America and the UK. Our Chinese friends have bored and stroked it to 150, 175, 200, 223 and 229 (250 is a rounded figure). The CG engines use pushrods and one single cam lobe for both intake and exhaust events. It is remarkably durable, and requires very little maintenance, since there is no cam chain and associated hardware to adjust. The cam runs off of a gear that meshes with a crank gear.

Another very common Honda clone is the CB series, which are OHC singles that have a common ancestry with the Honda XR200. The frame of architecture is different in that the CB can handle a larger bore, but the cam chain and tensioner systems are quite similar. The CB has been available in about the same displacements as the CG. Like the CG, the CB has never been a Honda that ended up on North American shores. It is totally different from the multi-cylinder CB Honda street bikes.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer