Thread: Hello.
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2017, 02:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Let me tell you something. I have my share of experiences with under $1000 used bikes. Unless you find one heck of a gem that somebody is just trying to unload for cheap, I can almost promise you that you will be either - rebuilding the carbs, replacing the tires, fixing electrical issues and/or someone elses half-assed electrical repairs, fixing leaks, replacing some part of the cooling system if it's liquid cooled. Heck, I could go on...

Don't let this discourage you from looking at all, but just be aware that bikes in the price point you are looking in usually end up down for lengths of time needing repairs. Want to talk about going down the rabbit hole? Wait until you start a project to fix one known problem, and then have to fix 5 others you find along the way.

I am not saying the Hawk, or any other similar chinese bike, won't take some work. Usually you have to put it together anyway lol. However, a few hours of assembly, bolt checking, and fluid changing will get you a brand new bike. A few tweaks to improve it as you see fit, IE sprockets, carb tuning, etc will only make it better.
Yeah, exactly. I actually think i would like getting a little dirty and making sure everything is right and tight, the engine is babied for the first 500 and all the fluids are replaced. I did find a China bike in there for 900, and the more and more I dig I'm turned off. He says it has 400 miles but both the rear side pieces are gone and the engine looks like it has some film or something on it. The pic he sent of what it looked like day 1 is that of a normal China bike, basically a hawk. Oh and the front headlight looks like something he go to from Walmart and whipped together. The brand is so out there it's only available to purchase through alibaba. I don't mean to be rude but you take a look

https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/mcy/6100184787.html