View Single Post
Old 04-23-2015, 07:42 PM   #3086

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
I notice CSC has a couple of recommendations. On the oil change tutorial it suggests the first oil change should be at 200 miles. But then Joe's blog recommends changing the oil before starting the first time, particularly since some of the bikes are coming over with low oil levels. Again, probably a matter of personal preference. If my bike needs much oil added before starting, I'll probably go ahead and change it with a motorcycle-specific conventional oil, just so I know what's in the crankcase.
Changing oil right off the bat is probably a good idea. You don't know what is in there already. I plan to do the same, right down to the dino motorcycle oil, already sitting on a shelf. Supposedly all Cyclones are run on a dino, and from the reports, run hard. I expect the rings are already half seated out of the box. I also plan to check the valves and plug gap during assembly, as well as all other adjustments. I plan an initial 19.5 mile ride that is nearly all stops and turns every couple blocks or rolling hills and curves with a 45mph speed limit which I'll fudge a bit. This route provides constantly changing rpm, road speed, throttle position, and loads so hot spots shouldn't be a problem. Then I'll stop for lunch to let the engine cool, then retrace the route home to an oil and filter change.

Next ride will be speed limits up to 55mph in the loess bluffs running along the east bank of the Mississippi River, then a roundabout route home through the rolling hills of west Kentucky and Tennessee, ending with a 65mph run over the last few miles. I'll stop along the way for lunch and maybe a couple times to let the engine cool. Back home for fresh oil.

Third and fourth break-in rides will be day long wanderings, speeds up to 65mph, among the hills of west Tennessee and Kentucky, as far east as Land Between The Lakes and perhaps as far south as Shiloh. Each ride will cover 400+ miles so several stops, a fresh filter and valve check after the third.

The final break-in ride will be first light until dark and in the same areas, but will include some brief stints on 70mph parkways and interstates. Ride five should see about 1500 miles on the odometer, so will be followed by an oil and filter change, but Mobil 1 4T will be going in.

I plan to have the forward illumination issue sorted before the 5th ride, which looks like it may be a SS1000, just because I haven't done one in a year and a half. Might do a BB1500 just for spits and tickles.