View Single Post
Old 11-26-2011, 01:32 PM   #2

After cleaning the oil seal washer, I re-installed it in the bottom of the outer fork tube. Since the outer fork tube bushing was located inside the outer fork tube, I was able to drive the new fork oil seal into place with a hammer. After pressing the new oil seal into place by hand, I placed the old fork seal on top of it to cushion the hammer blows. When the new oil seal was almost seated, I used a rubber mallet to finish driving the oil seal to its fully seated position. Here’s a photograph of the outer fork leg with the new oil seal installed in it.

If you examine this photograph closely, you can see the inner fork bushing located in the fork tube, just inside the oil seal. Looking farther inside the fork tube, you can see the outer fork bushing located inside the fork tube, about half way down the tube. The outer fork bushing appears to be held in place by the long, split metal sleeve, which is supported by the inner fork tube bushing.

The inner fork bushing was easy to inspect, and it was in excellent condition. This bushing would also be easy to replace; I assume it is a Honda bushing. Since the bushing on the fork preload spacer was also in excellent condition, I decided not to remove the outer fork bushing for inspection. Apparently, you must remove the inner fork bushing and the long, split, metal sleeve from the lower part of the outer fork tube in order to remove, and replace the outer fork bushing.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894