View Single Post
Old 04-27-2017, 03:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
Thanks for the detailed procedure. ...
You're welcome, JB.

Quote:
...I suspect the intake valves on my RX3 have done the same as yours.....(12.5k miles).

.....the clearances went to zero within 1,000 miles.

Yet, the most recent check revealed the intakes increased by .002".

Is there a way to determine if the valves have receded into the head without disassembling the engine?...
My exhaust valve clearances did not stablize until about 16,000 miles. I have never used an inspection camera. Could an inspection camera be employed in this situation? I suspect the size of the spark plug hole, the small area area inside the cylinder, et cetera, might cause problems for an inspection camera. However, I don't know.

I suggest you talk to Gerry at CSC and tell him your maintenance record of how often you did each valve lash check, and the required adjustments. As with me, he might tell you to have a leak down test performed. I bought an OTC 5609, Cylinder Leakage Tester Kit, shown in the link below. It does an excellent job, and I highly recommend it.

http://www.tooltopia.com/otc-tools-5...FQsuaQodCX8J6g

However, be forewarned. Even if your engine passes a leak down test, you still might have valve recession. My cylinder did not leak, but the valve recession was obvious from a visual inspection.

Quote:
...Most importantly, what are the options for those of us that don't have the time, skill, tools, work space, or inclination to perform the task?

Has anyone had CSC successfully find them a local mechanic to perform major repairs?

jb
Once again, I would call Gerry at CSC and ask for his advice. If you, or anyone else has this problem, he should try to resolve the issue before his warranty expires. That is why I talked to Gerry several times about this problem, and performed a leak down test last fall. This gave me enough time to get authorization to tear down the engine, find the problem, and fix the problem before my warranty coverage expired. Based upon my experience with this problem, I decided to post this thread as a service to the RX3 community.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894