View Single Post
Old 03-13-2009, 01:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
That cut could easily be made on a bandsaw too. Probably what the machinest used.

Great tip. The lifan already uses a separate cover I believe.

Allen
Yes, I believe the machinist did use a bandsaw.

I don't own a bandsaw, so after I determined the best section line on my crankcase cover I started looking in the yellow pages and on the internet for a local machinist. I found a lot of big, specialized machine shops; however, I could not find the small, friendly, one-man operation I was looking for.

Then I remembered that the local university has a College of Technology with a Computerized Machining program. :idea: :roll: I called the department head and asked if he could refer me to a local machinist. After I described the job, he told me a bandsaw would probably work well. Then he told me to bring the cover to his classroom shop and he would cut it for me.

He was busy when I arrived, so I did not get to watch him make the cut. He told me to come by the next day and pick it up. Needless to say, he did a superb job, and nobody will beat his price.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894