Thread: RE Scram 411
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2023, 06:20 PM   #9

Well, almost to the 300 mile service and I've learned a LOT about this bike. I know someone else here picked one up and I'd like to get his input if he shows back up.

First, the best way I can explain the power of this motor is like this. No, it's not powerful at only 25hp, but the power is like if you've ever owned or driven a 300ci Ford straight six. Everything is from idle to about mid-range, then it's nothing more than more noise after that. Mind you, it's dtill choked up stock, but everything I've seen online explains exactly what I'm experiencing. The "over-square" cylinder delivers torque, and is mechanically noisy.

It's getting quieter as it breaks in, but man, mid-throttle on up in the higher RPM ranges almost sounds mechanically catastrophic. Come to find out, this is normal. Don't panic, just ride the piss out of it. I personally believe it's caused by detonation from being run so lean thanks to EPA/CARB/EURO standards. Plus, it's whisper quiet on the exhaust, so every engine noise stands out.

All this said, the bike is an absolute hoot to ride. It handles amazingly well, the brakes are definitely more than adequate, both end suspenders work well enough, even with my 215 pound arse on it. The seat is also the most comfortable stock seat I've ever sat on. This is the first bike in forever that I haven't changed the seat right away.

Ergo-wise, it's also the first bike I've owned in forever that I didn't automatically add risers. I did order them in advance, but I may return them. The bars are in the perfect spot for me. Odd.

Once you get used to the Ford Straight Six power delivery of the motor and use it as such, I can see why the Himalayan 411 has such a strong following. Very, very friendly power. Plus, first tank, tight as a drum during break-in, 72.5 MPG. Can't complain.

Now for the 300 mile service. Oil and filter, check everything over and valve adjust. Then the mods begin.I have on order:

Risers, center stand (The Scram doesn't come with one stock), hand guards, small engine guards, adjustable levers, Kick stand pad, DNA air filter kit, PoweRage slip on exhaust, Fuel-X Lite programmer, small fly screen. That should do me for a while......

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350