View Single Post
Old 04-23-2017, 11:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
This used to be the way I thought until I tried to kill a 5.3L LS in a 2000 Suburban 2500. Damn thing is still running as good as new and being used as a company work truck with over 350,000 miles.

There's enough DIY info that an LS swap can be done cheaper than a mild SBC build. More reliable too.
Don't get me wrong, the LS is a great engine. But it is getting to the point that damn near everybody and his dog and/or cat are swapping LS engines into something....They have basically become the cookie cutter engine for easy power. Same could be said about the SBC long ago but now they are starting to become a thing of the past. Pretty much the moment i see LS listed as part of a project be it in an X body like my Omega or a Square body chevy truck. I tune out of that project pretty quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Agreed. If you get a good runner, you don't need to open it up. Like Bruce says, find an old pickup and cannibalize it for everything.

That said, I do appreciate your point about a Q-Jet and an HEI distributor.
I know where i can lay hands on a '99 Sierra with a 4.8 in it for $300. That said...i would rather leave the LS right where it is..in the engine bay of that Sierra. I like the more raw feel of the older carbed and EFI engines. If EFI were to find its way into the Omega it would be in the form of a Crossfire or TPI set up with standalone electronics.
'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)