View Single Post
Old 12-08-2016, 10:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by weevil6772 View Post
Well, got them all in, changed out everything I mentioned before and took them on first rides. Initial impressions were that these were quite high-geared and would fly if you wanted them to. However they were definitely not for climbing much of anything or rough trails. I believe gearing them down will help a long ways towards resolving that. I did run into issues with the mikuni carbs and jetting. Eventually got 1 to work with the mikuni, and the other 3 with stock carbs. Not really noticing a huge difference thus far, with all 4 running fine over the last few weeks. May or may not revisit the mikuni carbs on these. I did replace the stock lights with ones listed on the other rhino threads. Worked amazingly well compared to stock. I think wheel spacers are a must on the rear tires with my kids riding them. I put 3 of the 4 on their side trying to trail ride myself. Overall I'm happy with the taotao rhino's and don't regret the purchase. I think they need more overall fine tuning to get truly great performance out of them with the sprockets, and spacers. After that I think I'll be good to go. Thanks again to those who helped me out and those who took the time to post all the info on the other threads. Was a HUGE help and will be moving forward I'm sure.
Good to hear things are going well!

Regarding the Mikuni's, I run them simply because of available jetting. My Rhino carb was completely sealed, including the slide was red locktited shut. It took two huge channel locks and a heat gun to get the slide out so I could access the cable for the carb swap. Total pain.... May have just been a CA thing, don't know, but it was the first thing to go. WAY too lean.

Yep....you can take an interstate the way these are geared. I just got in my new sprockets and chain last week. Haven't put them on yet. Maybe this weekend. I can't wait to get some useful gearing out of it for hauling the cart around.

Please keep in mind that these CG motors will change their personality dramatically as they break in. They're VERY tight out of the box. Miles and hours are needed before making any major adjustment swings. Also, change the oils quite often in the first while. Cheap insurance.

Good luck and keep us posted on your fleet!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350