Thread: fork oil change
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2017, 10:32 PM   #49

"Assembly is the opposite of the disassembly procedure."

Can someone provide advice on getting the inner seal seated? I tried tapping with a screwdriver, but am reluctant to tap hard and damage the seal. I've tried pounding the upper and lowers together (opposite of the disassembly) but the dust seal gets into place and the inner seal still isn't seated enough to get the C clip in place. I then cut a 1" length of PVC pipe, hacked a section off so it in a C shape, stretched it over the lower tube, and trying slamming it the tubes together again, but the PVC is riding up on the dust seal and I don't want to damage it. I also tried some lite hammering with no advancement. I then cut a 5" length of PVC and stretched it over the tube and tried slamming it down onto the seal, but the PVC is just too lite.

I was able to get the washer and seal seated in the upper tube while the lower tube is removed, just to confirm it can go back in there. I'm wondering if I should try installing the lower tube with the seal already seated in the upper? There will be a few tricks on getting those bearing rings on, but maybe it can work.