View Single Post
Old 09-12-2022, 08:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
Great review of this bike! Helps those of us looking to buy but not knowing much about different brands/models.
After a few months of ownership, no disappointments at all. I did add a 14T front sprocket, and a 39T rear sprocket. This dropped the revs and made it more civilized at speed, BUT lost the off road capabiity. You really need low gearing for off road... This bike starts easy and runs great. It is a perfect runabout to run errands, and you can take the construction site diversion or real wilderness trail if you want to

Here are a few comments:
First, this is an enduro, and you are buying better off-road performance than a dual sport. The frame is stiff and fairly light, you can adjust the preload/rebound/compression (rear) and compression/rebound on the front shocks. The adjustable shocks deliver good control on these knobbies.
Second, the engine is smooth and easy, delivering tractable torque from down low on up for off-road adventures, and the suspension/frame/wheels hold up to more abuse than anyone but a professional racer might expect, for about $2000 !!!
Third, Anyone that wants a really capable road bike should look into a 400cc or above engine. I have ridden big bore 4 cylinder bikes for my entire life, and NONE of these dual purpose 250s are really good road bikes. But it will get you to the dirt.

But for me, the Templar X works. Personally, I don't think that any 4 stroke 250 dirt bike is "comfortable" on the road for more than an hour or two!

If you are on two lane side roads and don't have to face Interstate traffic, then a 250cc bike might work for you. I guess it depends on your preferences. The only question after that is do you want knobbies and be able to survive on anything worse than hard pack with a little loose gravel or sand, or dual purpose tires. You can do some single track with dual sport tires, but it is a little dangerous (washing out, slipping).

Last edited by Thumper; 03-04-2024 at 09:23 AM.