View Single Post
Old 11-26-2011, 01:57 PM   #3

After I installed the oil seal retaining clip, I placed the new dust wiper on the inner fork tube. I then carefully slid the inner fork tube into the outer fork tube, and pressed the dust wiper into position by hand. Since the damper rod is difficult to grab when it is fully compressed, I next secured a zip tie under the locking nut on the damper rod. The zip tie gave me something to grab after the damper rod was fully compressed in the fork leg.

I placed the reassembled fork tube on a mat, and added 200ml of Mobile1 Synthetic ATF to the fork assembly. After sliding the two fork tubes, and repeatedly working the damping rod up and down, I filled the damper cartridge with ATF. I worked the damper rod up and down until all air was expelled from the cartridge, and the rod action was smooth. Next I measured the oil level by inserting a long zip tie into the inner fork tube. I confirmed the oil level was 11.5-inches from the top before I reinstalled the fork spring.

After installing the fork spring, I extended the damping rod and removed the zip tie. Holding the damping rod in an extended position, I installed the preload spacer bushing, and the preload spacer. With the damping rod extended, I pushed down on the preload spacer and attached the spacer washer under the damping rod.

I applied one drop of red loctite to the threads on the end of the damping rod. Using a 12mm wrench, I held the nut on the damping rod as I tightened the fork cap onto the end of the rod with a crescent wrench. Finally, I raised the outer fork tube, and tightened the fork cap into the end of the fork, completing the fork assembly.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894