View Single Post
Old 02-14-2015, 11:22 AM   #1901

That is a great video, Spud. It's not often I'd sit down and watch a 41-minute YouTube from start to finish, but this one was worth the time. Thanks for posting it.

Chongqing is an interesting place. I was blown away when I first went there 4 years ago. I've been pretty lucky having had the opportunity to visit it. We sort of knew it as Chun King when I was a kid; we knew the name only because it was the name of a noodle company on the US east coast. "Chun King" is almost the phonetic pronunciation of Chongqing the way the Chinese say it. Kind of like the Peking/Beijing and Guangzhou/Canton thing. When I go to Chongqing my hosts in Zongshen have shown me parts of the city I would have never seen otherwise. Cool stuff and an experience I greatly value.

You'll notice on the Minben position map right now there's a city called Suzhou on the right side. Suzhou is about an hour and a half out of Shanghai by road. It's China's Venice, with canals dominating the city like the Venice in Italy. It's another hidden gem most folks have never heard of.

There are a lot of things in China that are worth seeing. The Terra Cotta soldiers were in Xian were discovered only recently, and that location is now designated as the 8th wonder of the ancient world. Reading about it, and seeing photos and TV shows are interesting. Seeing the Terra Cotta soldiers in person will take your breath away.

Richard Nixon may have had has faults, but lack of vision was not one of them. He's the guy, of course, who established relations with China. That took a lot of courage.