View Single Post
Old 01-27-2017, 12:36 PM   #1

250cc Hawk, Georgia Title & Registration

Just posting here to chronicle my success with titling a 250cc Hawk in Georgia. Reply with questions, and I'll do my best to answer them here. To clarify, these directions are to have it fully titled and registered and a highway-approved vehicle, not as a moped or motor-scooter. That said, I HIGHLY recommend you perform some extra work to ensure your bike can travel safely at highway speeds (I'll post in a separate thread soon for that). And a warning so you don't waste your time: if you are unable to obtain a valid Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO) from the seller, you WILL NOT be able to title this bike in Georgia. So don't buy it from a guy on craigslist as a regular dirt bike and expect to have it titled.

I bought my Hawk last winter. It was crate-shipped to my house. The paperwork that came with it included a blank MCO, which isn't any good. I requested a new MCO from their site and had one that was signed from them to me within a few days. I had a local Harley dealership perform a state inspection, which it passed (which isn't necessary in Georgia).

Fast forward, just moved back down to Georgia. Printed a form "T22-B" from google and went to my local police station where they filled it out, no problems. To lessen confusion, form T22-B will most likely just be referred to as a "VIN verification" by your local police station. He looked at the bike and signed the form.

Took the signed T-22B form to my local county tag office, along with the MCO, the invoice that shipped with the bike (which was used as the bill of sale), and my Georgia driver's license. I paid about $250 to have it titled and a tag applied for, and that's that. The total fees would have been less, but I was charged a late filing fee. The bike should be listed in the DOR systems as CHQG for the make.

Here's a summary of what you'll need to title this bike in Georgia, in the rough order you should obtain them:
1) A filled Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin from the seller, with your information on the back.
2) A T22-B form, signed by a regular uniformed Georgia police officer. They will need to physically see the bike, and YOU should provide a copy of the form (Google it). They should be able to have an officer come to your house if you call them. Needless to say, the bike should be in good working order before then.
3) The invoice or receipt of payment for the vehicle, which will be used as the Bill of Sale.
4) Valid Georgia driver's license.

Last edited by Gunrunner Doc; 03-27-2020 at 03:09 PM.