View Single Post
Old 08-18-2017, 06:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Darth has it down. I will add what I did but your mileage may vary………

You don’t want the chain too lose or it will come off and conversely if it’s too tight bad things are bound to happen. When you compress the rear suspension you will notice the chain gets tighter and you want to avoid a no slack situation at the bottom of the compression.

I will loosen the two large (17 mm) nuts, and use the two adjustment nuts to get it so there is about 3/4 to 1 inch of play in the chain between sprockets. Then I have my 200 pound son compress the rear end by sitting as far back as possible to check to ensure there is a small amount of up and down play in the chain when it’s bottomed out. Adjust as needed so there is that small amount of play and then tighten the large nuts. If you don’t have a human weight like I do you can always use a ratcheting strap to compress the rear end.

While I had my rear axle loose I also measured from a fixed point on the front of the ATV to the rear rim on both sides to ensure the rear axle is square to the ATV so I wasn’t “crabbing”. One of my ATVs were dead on and the other needed adjustment. Hope this helps.
HUMAN WEIGHT PLUS ONE SWAMPY DOG
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~