View Single Post
Old 04-02-2024, 11:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopsweat View Post
How do I figure out how many links to leave in the new chain with the new sprocket tooth count? I got the D.I.D. 428 VX X-Ring chain, a 17T front, and a 45T for the rear.

It looks like Gearing Commando has something about it, but I didn't know how to interpret the "sprocket distance" field box.

Should I just eyeball it, put it on, keep removing one link at a time until I'm at the right spot to pull up the slack with the adjuster plates?
Install the new sprockets on the bike, put the axle about where you want it, wrap the chain around the new sprockets, then mark where you need to break the chain. If in doubt, err on the chain being too long. You can always shorten it, whereas lengthening it involves having two master links which is less than ideal.

Also, it's good practice to grind flat the peened head of the pin that you're going to use the chain breaker on. Otherwise, the peened end can slightly elongate the pin bushing when the chain breaker pushes it through.
-2024 CSC TT250, stage 3 motocult kit, Nibbi PE28FL with custom-made cable controlled choke, modified stock muffler (larger diameter tailpipe), custom oil cooler installation with relocated stock evaporative emissions canister, oversized stainless steel footpegs, IMS folding tip shifter, a few little blingy bolts and bits. More personal preference mods to come.