Thread: What oil?
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2018, 11:20 PM   #5

Any oil with a picture of a motorcycle or 4-wheeler will work. Some work better than others.

There are really only two kinds of oil. First is dino oil, a petroleum product. This includes things like Rotella, which is really a very high quality dino product, not at all a true synthetic. The 2nd type of oil is the true synthetics like Lucas, Royal Purple, and the old Mobil 1.

CSC recommends 5w-40 or 10w-40. Anything w-50 is overkill.

Start off with fresh dino oil for motorcycles in 5w-40 or 10w40. Dino oil allows a much faster break-in. Very cheap at most big box stores like Walmart. I do an oil change as soon as the bike is assembled, before even starting it up the first time. Patiently allow the filters to drain and reuse them.

Next oil change is a couple hundred miles later, same dino oil. Clean the filters with DeepCreep, let the DeepCreep evaporate. Change and clean filters again at 500 miles.

Finally, at 1000 miles, use the same change and clean procedure and use a top line dino oil like Rotella or a genuine synthetic oil like Lucas, Royal Purple, or the old type Mobil 1. 10w-40 will do.

DO NOT just use any oil. Most oils in 1st world countries I've been to are very specialized and becoming more so. Many newer cars require oils with friction modifiers so the emissions laws can be met. Dump one in your motorcycle and you will be buying a new clutch. Many new cars require little or no additives to prevent impact wear--rollers and bearings instead of flat metal contact surfaces with a thin layer of oil to avoid contact. Dump one in your motorcycle and order a new transmission.

There are about 12 different Rotellas. Which is right for a motorcycle? (None. All Rotellas are designed for diesels in commercial trucks, farm and construction equipment, and/or stationary engines.) There are close to 30 different Mobil 1s. Which is right for a motorcycle? (The 2 with pictures of motorcycles on the containers.)

I'd rather pay $10 more for the right oil than cheap out on my motorcycle, which is so much better than a woman. Simple facts are I know dozens of people who have used the wrong oil and wasted engines in all sorts of machines, from lawn mowers to cars, trucks, busses, semis, boats, airplanes, even motorcycles. Many didn't even change brand. Use the right oil or risk the consequences.