Thread: What oil?
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2018, 11:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh426 View Post
Such info has been on line for 20 years, but yours is actually current. Lots out there is obsolete. Such rapid technology advances are why I no longer post such details--reading such stuff interferes with riding time. Another funny thing is Rotella isn't even properly rated on this system. Rotella is a commercial oil and its rating begins with a "C", not "S". Dump it in your engine and your warranty is void.

Hawk 229cc wrote, "so we are all just giving an opinion ,like the guy above kinda contradicts his post ,more then half the guys hear use 15w40 Diesel oil an works just fine ,you should be fine we can only say what we use"

90% of never married American male adults and 75% of never married American female adults have sexual experience before their 20th birthdays and about 35% have sexual transmitted disease. I'm sure their lubricants work fine, too. That type of reasoning, Hawk 229cc, will fail almost every time. Especially this time.

I have 4 TW200s. All bought used, low miles, broken in on dino oil. I've used Mobil 1 Racing 4t, had to replace a leaking base gasket at 58,000+ miles. The cylinder looked just honed, got a quick 2 passes, new rings. The other 3 had previous owners who were cheapskates and used Rotella. All three showed way worse wear than my original, and they had about 3500, 4750, and 5500 miles on them. Still, the Rotella lubed bikes still looked better than any of the hundreds of others I've rebuilt that only got dino oil, but there was a definite and consistent difference between Mobil 1 Racing 4T and Rotella wear rates. The worst was the one with lowest miles that saw a lot of very cold weather cold starts and I'm wondering if the extra 5 in the cold viscosity rating caused that.

CSC's website says,"The RX-3 takes 1.7 quarts of 5W-40 or 10W-40 motorcycle oil. That’s one quart and about 24 ounces of oil. Don’t use car oil or any oil with “friction inhibitors” because this will cause the clutch to slip. ... We recommend using non-synthetic oil on the first oil change, and then switching to Mobil 4T synthetic motorcycle oil at the 1000-mile mark."

Note the picture of Lupe putting oil in a bike shows a container with the word "motorcycle" on it. Got that?

Mobil 1 Racing 4T is the proper name for CSC's recommended oil. It is APA rated SH if you get the old stuff. The new stuff is SJ. Using this oil in our motorcycles is good, according to Gh426's info.

I'm through with this forum after Hawk 229cc's personal attack so well wishes to the rest.