View Single Post
Old 05-20-2016, 11:08 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Well, I was thinking that if the bypass were close to the thermostat (and sensors) it would be a moot point or maybe actually get the true engine temp to the sensor sooner. As it is, the temp sensor works off the coolant that is trapped in the thermostat housing. Except for the small bleed hole on the thermostat, the housing is a dead end for coolant flow until the thermostat opens. The temp sensor actually lags behind the actual temp during warm-up. If I had that housing I'd want to see if I could drill and tap for a bypass spigot. At the same time I'd like to see if a different thermostat would fit (what Spud mentioned).
Quote:
Originally Posted by katflap View Post
Great idea , a spigot directly into the thermostat housing , I think your right, that would do the trick, brilliant

Think I might have to purchase a spare thermostat housing to play with
This system would work well, but it depends on two variables.

1. The stock thermostat housing needs to be able to accommodate a fitting for the bypass hose.

2. The short hose with the tight bend, which connects the radiator to the inlet of the water pump, also needs to be able to accommodate a fitting for the bypass hose.

Ideally, we should also find a thermostat with a higher operating temperature (195 degree Fahrenheit), which fits inside the stock thermostat housing. However, the bypass itself would still be an improvement, even with the stock thermostat.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894