View Single Post
Old 06-24-2015, 10:04 PM   #7

Know the feeling! Back in '82 on a Honda CB650 (think it sold as Black Hawk in the US) approaching a roundabout (something else I don't think you have many of over there!!) I hit a patch of black ice at about 20 mph. Bike and I parted company and the sound of my crash helmet grinding along the tarmac was accompanied by crunching sounds from the bike! When I finally stopped sliding (ice, remember?) I saw the bike was blocking traffic and went to pick it up - adrenaline still pumping so I had it back up and off the road before the 2 approaching motorists arrived!
Fortunately the damage was almost entirely cosmetic (after straightening the brake pedal and gearchange rode it away!), but cost the insurance company more than the original price to repair! I had a few scrapes and bruises, but nothing serious. I was wearing an open face helmet and lightweight gear, as where I worked didn't have decent storage for full kit, so my injuries were worse than they should have been - but it did bring home the value of the skid-lid as it would have been my face on the tarmac otherwise!