View Single Post
Old 04-02-2024, 02:38 PM   #3877

Front loading washer shock absorbers

I got a free Samsung washer. Guess what? The phrase 'made in China" is printed on the model/serial number tag. Imagine that. Nice washer/dryer set. Maybe 8-10 years old. In need of some maintenance.

The washer had started to bump and knock and previous owner apparently attempted to replace the shocks ... I could tell someone was in there, and they were not OEM shocks. I bought the companion dryer for $150 and refreshed the rollers, idler pulley and belt. It works great now. He offered me the washer for free, and I figured what the heck, how bad can it be.

Well, it wouldn't drain the barrel in a driveway test...it needed a drain pump (~$24) and a good cleaning. Then it seemed to work fine, but no, it bumped and slammed inside during spin cycle once I ran a load. But the drum was rolling OK (not the spider bracket), and the bearings had not failed. Classic shock failure symptoms.

But, the replacement shocks I got had more than 10mm free play And when the dampening engages, it is weak!

Can you believe this massive freeplay in a brand new shock? All 4 of them did this, some worse than others!

I will be returning them. So here we go again. Trying another set:

WasherShocks.jpg

Last edited by Thumper; 04-02-2024 at 05:20 PM.