Thread: $5895 for RX4
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2018, 05:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cylinderwonder View Post
$5895 is $100 more than the Versys-X 300 with ABS.
I can buy a Versys-X 300 for the MSRP $5795 price plus sales tax and license registration fee. NO freight, NO assembly charges.
Plus the Versys-X weighs less and has less pounds per horsepower than the RX4.
The Versys probably can “smoke” the RX4 in the quarter mile acceleration time.
(Versys-X, 386 lbs. 39 horsepower) (RX4, 450 lbs., 44 horsepower)
Less weigh is always better for off road use, in my opinion.
(I also checked out the Zongshen selling price, and it is much, much cheaper thanks CSC’s)
I cannot speak to what you can get a Versys-x 300 for or the results of a 1/4 mile acceleration test, but in the case of the RX4's price, I'm pretty sure that the ongoing trade war with China has been factored into the price. I, too, have seen chinese RX4 prices a few hundred dollars less after converted to US dollars. But, that price is without taking into consideration CSC's overhead for federal EPA and CARB emissions certification costs and import tariffs on chinese goods.

I'm basing my speculation about import tariffs affecting CSC's price on a tidbit from Joe Berk, who put up a post on his Exhaust Notes blog about Baja John buying a TT250 for his house in Mexico. In it, he mentioned that Steve Seidner at CSC told Baja John it would be better to buy the bike now rather than wait till later in the year, due to the fact that prices were going up for the next shipment of bikes due to tariffs. So, to a certain extent, it is out of CSC's hands. They are a business and need to turn a profit to stay in business. I do not begrudge them that, though like everyone else in the world, I would love to get something for nothing, or next to nothing.

Regarding the RX4's weight, I agree that less is more when taking it off road. Hence my preference for the RX3S and its 380 cc parallel twin, which CSC decided not to bring in due to ergonomic problems. Although, based off of statements from CSC's blog, we may yet see a bike with the 380 cc twin engine in the future. Here's hoping a re-worked RX3 or similar sized bike makes an appearance in the not too distant future.