Thread: tao tao atm50
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2016, 12:13 PM   #11

Keihin actually has a factory in China (Nanjing Keihin Carburetor Co., Ltd.). I can't say for sure if it's is coming out of that factory. But is has all the earmarks. So it's either a very good clone or the real deal out of china. Either way It's a very good carb especially at $20.55 shipped.
I haven't been able to find a Japanese one in years. I had a line on some NOS but the guy wanted around $250.

There are a lot of people on these specialty websites claiming Genuine Keinin but I've never seen them produce any documentation. Both the carbs on scooterpartsco are defiantly made in china as is the one I source. The e-choke is different. I can't speak to the quality of either carb you linked. Maybe you can?

I know the one I get has very good castings and micro finishing. The diaphragm is correct and everything is as it should be. The cheap copies use thicker material. It has all the earmarks of a Genuine China Factory Keinin as seen in the thread at 49ccscoot linked above.

I am convinced that the the Chinese put the biggest pieces of junk carbs on the bikes for export (they have to be sealed). I have a scoot that came in with a Kung - Fu carb (I'm not joking). It was to biggest joke you have ever seen. Finishing was terrible and the casting was cracked. It just like the VW German engineers figuring out how to get past our stupid emissions laws and laughing about it. You know somewhere there is Chinese engineer laughing about how they put a Kung Fu on it.

Last edited by nonone; 07-25-2016 at 12:46 PM.