View Single Post
Old 02-14-2022, 12:55 PM   #15

So, the reason I'm doing this is because I did raise the rear suspension. I cut 6mm out of each dogbone and welded them back together. This gave me about 0.75" raise in the rear, which is a finger's width from bottoming on anything. I can get a finger between the upper fender and tire, and when the wheel is all the way forward in the adustment it's still not touching the airbox. This is with a 130/80/17 Kenda Big Block tire. When running a golden boy/SR244 in 5.10x17 the tire still rubs the fender but now misses the airbox (though it's VERY close). I did have to weld an extension on my side stand.

However, with the rear lifted this much the bike is VERY unstable at 70+mph. It has a dangerous wobble. I tried sliding the forks down in the trees as much as I could, but this only made it slightly better. The bike is also a lot taller and I am less confident when the trail gets nasty.

So, my aim here is to return the bike to the stock height (I've already bought the parts from CSC) and remove the airbox instead. My other option would be to buy the 19" front wheel and run a slightly-oversized 3.50x19 front tire. But that's quite a bit more expensive than going back to stock and throwing on a foam uni filter. A lot more work tho, that airbox doesn't look like it's coming out easily.

Charles.