View Single Post
Old 03-30-2015, 02:07 PM   #2614

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Welcome!

Seriously thinking of selling an '04 TW?
Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran View Post
Hey, I know you from the TW forums.
Are you jumping ship, or just getting another competing bike?
I'm down to 2 TWs and plan to keep them. Both are bored and stroked, 6-speed conversions, XT clutch with kickers. One is an adventure bike, (Tdub2) with MicroSquirt EFI and the other is a café bike (Pirate) with a 34mm Mikuni.

The original Tdub is still around but shot the broken cam chain through the bottom engine case, so she's dead. With 60,212 miles under her, she'll probably be parted out eventually.

EDIT: I've ordered a Cyclone, red. I have been looking for a small street bike with standard ergos for weekend trips on secondary roads for some time, and nothing comes close to the value offered by the Cyclone, considering its standard accessory package. Even a good used Japanese competitor with low miles would easily cost twice what a delivered Cyclone costs for equivalent functionality. The folks at CSC have earned a forthright reputation and I expect any problem my Cyclone might develop will be dealt with in a forthright manner. Can't say that for most Japanese and European dealers these days.

Yes, I've pretty much abandoned the TW forum. Too much back biting. I've read about 50 pages of this thread and the excitement and collaboration is enticing--reminds me of the TW forums way back when as the model began developing its cult-like following and absolutely nothing was made to fit. Looks like making a Cyclone fit one's needs will be much easier than it was with the TWs as the bike is so well equipped right off the boat, the distributor is active in providing options, and the worldwide availability of adventure touring accessories is already fairly well established.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
I've had a $350 Pro-Oiler on my Versys and a $25 gravity feed unit on my
NC700x. They both worked but made a mess on that side of the bike. I'm not sure when going down the freeway how much oil actually gets on the chain or if it just dissipates in the wind. Now I just carry a bottle of oil and when I stop at night, put it up on the center stand and oil chain while its idling in 1st gear . let it sit over night and ride, rj
Exactly why I ordered a center stand. The Cyclone has an o-ring chain so daily oiling of the chain is overkill. Anything that prevents surface rust is good enough as the real wear points on the chain are protected and lubed by the stuff inside the O-rings--what you put on the outside of the chain makes no difference other than to prevent rust. I've found Motorcycle Chain Lube from Walmart goes on thin, dries overnight to a thin, waxy coating, and is resistant to water so it stays on. Also, after drying on the chain the wax coating isn't sticky so sand and such does not stick. The coating is permanent enough to rinse mud off with a water hose, and dissolves readily with Deep Creep, running right off the chain and taking all the gunk with it. This combination of products is very quick and easy, and has kept ringed chains in service on several of my motorcycles for 25,000 to 35,000 miles with chain adjustments beyond the initial only at tire changes.

Now, on to my Cyclone questions:

1) Someone want to teach me Chinese so I can make sense of the Taobao site?

EDIT again: Just got off the phone with the county clerk and the numbers are:

bike 3495.00
centerstand 129.95
shipping 295.00
doc fee 35.00
TT&L 383.35

That's $251.70 less than the TW200 list, $851.70 less than the XT250 list. Add $17.50 or $59.50 in additional sales tax, then a $300 set up fee, and ~$1500 to match the functional accessories that come on the Cyclone, and the value is readily apparent. $7049.50 OTD vs. $4338.30 OTD.

Last edited by oldqwerty; 03-30-2015 at 04:43 PM.