View Single Post
Old 04-05-2016, 11:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
It's really cool that you've made the scoot run under it's own power already.
Thanks for the encouragement.

Today I put fresh gas in it (gauge works, yay! and took it out for a backroad run of a few miles. Some smooth oiltop, some rougher oiltop, some dirt, some gravel. The gravel wasn't much fun.

It was a good ride. The odometer worked. When I was trundling around slowly the revs dropped down to around 2500. Under max load it it was 4500-5000. I liked the CVT's adjustments and may just leave it there.

I got it up to an indicated 55mph. The variator must have been topped out because rpm finally climbed to 6000 at that top speed. I could get a little more in that straight but just after 55mph the chassis started to feel unsettled/squirrelly so I backed down. It could have been the uneven road surface but I didn't want to go any faster.

The tires on this thing are kind of a sporty low-profile look. It makes for odd inputs on cambered surfaces. When I replace them I might go for a more traditional round tire profile. I had a similar issue on my street bike; the OEM rear had a shape that made the bike want to "fall in" on cambers/turns. When I replaced the rear with Conti Motions that tendency went away completely.

Working on headlights tomorrow.

Past: 2012 Honda NC700x, 2014 Taotao ATM-50-A1, 2014 Taotao Evo, 19?? Honda Spree 50, 1982 Katana 550