View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013, 06:36 PM   #9

That article is always a good read.

I think about this a lot. I think that for me, in most of my bikes, synthetic car oil is the way to go.

If you think motorcycle oils are expensive take a look at airplane oil. Dinosaur oil is $8+/quart and synthetic is $15/quart. My plane takes 8 quarts, many larger planes take 12. It adds up fast.

It is not legal to use anything but FAA certified oil in an airplane.

ON THE OTHER HAND there are other advantages to motorcycle oil than just viscosity stability. Things like seal lubrication an corrosion prevention. ALSO a bike has to cope with the added stress of the transmission and the clutch tearing the oil up.

SO, the actual difference betewwen car and motorcycle oil is trivial. Take my Gold Wing for example. The manual calls for 4 quarts of full synthetic. If I us Mobil 1 as opposed to Honda oil I save $8 for every 8,000 mile service interval, or $1/1000 miles.

I just stick with the Honda approved oil, it makes me feel better.

My KLX uses 1.5 quarts and gets changed every 1,000 miles, so $3/1000. No biggie.

Believe me my Ducati will also get full synthetic motor oil. It's an emotional thing, and I am a scientist, but for very little money in the grand scheme of things I just feel better.