Thread: Heated Grips
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2015, 10:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
I just installed Oxford Touring heated grips on my RX3. My experience was similar to Katflap's.

Installing the grips themselves was challenging. The grips have a hard inner plastic liner, and its impossible (at first) to get the left grip over the knurling on left handlebar end. I used a rat tail file and a dremel with sanding drum to remove some of the inner plastic on the grip. And also used a rubber mallet to get the grip finally in place. I do not recommend this method but I was getting frustrated.

I do not use brush guards, and had planned to use a pair of universal fit bar end weights (the kind with the inner rubber expansion plug for standard 7/8 inch bars) to close up the ends and finish the job. But I discovered you can't use bar end weights on the stock RX3 handlebar. The bar inner diameter is too small. Also the throttle tube end is closed. I ended up carefully cutting the ends of the original hand grips off, and glued them to the end of the Oxford grips to close up the ends. Looks OK.

I would be interested in how the Bikemaster grips actually install. I like the looks of the Oxford grips and the controller, but I am not sure they are worth the extra $35.
Yep, that left hand grip is a real pig

I would also be interested to know if other makes are as tight.

I was thinking perhaps sanding down the knurles a bit on the bar might be an option if i ever have to install a grip again

These are the end bar weights that I used that fit
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RYDE-22MM-...-/331150544290

I used a couple of large washers (the same dia. of the handle bar) on the throttle side to space it out a little so it could never be pushed in enough to jam the twist action of the throttle.

I'm sure the Bikemaster grips are good but the oxford grips do have a few advantages.

Automatically turns off if battery voltage is getting too low. always leaving enough power to start the bike.

Automatically turns off after a period of time if you forget to turn them off after riding your bike.

So no need to fit a relay

Also they have a good track record of reliability and parts can be bought individually.