View Single Post
Old 02-16-2016, 06:39 PM   #5

I was extremely lucky in finding this UNMODDED gem of a bike, other than it being a little abused from the "lack of use" over the last few years, it came with a box full of dealership maintenance that was done over the 11,xxx miles of previous ownership, oil changes every 800 or so miles, valves checked every 2,500 miles (but never needed done), etc. etc. I got all this for $1,300...

I could have got it for a lot less but I didn't feel like playing games and wanted this gem I have the ability to fix anything cheap (my labor is free and I have most tools I need) that's wrong with it, I'm almost done with the build and it will be fully modded and built to MY liking for well under $4,000, that includes the price of the bike, title/plate fees, and insurance for the first 2 years of me owning it (probably have another year to year and a half before I have enough for the front brake and suspension upgrades so I included that insurance and plates in the cost )...

Tried going to local dealerships (and a few other private sales) and they all wanted insane prices for OLD bikes, I didn't even ask for prices on the NEW(er) bikes... the one place I tried to pre-order a 2016 Suzuki DR650 from kept dinking me around on the delivery date (and wouldn't 'sell' me the one on the floor...) so I ended up getting my $ back and started modding the KLR 650 instead

This 1999 KLR 650 was my first ever CL purchase, and I think I'm quitting CL while I'm ahead the reason I named her "Mia Fedora", she showed up randomly in my life when I was looking for a cheap/used motorcycle, the owner was legit and didn't like to mess around (he had paper work ready, test rides, was friendly, etc.) and promptly disappeared after I got his plate back to him (didn't have the tools to remove it and he said to just "drop it off to me here when it's off the bike"...)

I can't wait for this weekend, should have that Rocky Mountain order by then, and I can finish up a few things on the bike (rear brakes, pilot jet, exhaust header)

I forgot to add the special wrench and bolt I need to remove the parts and get back to the Doo... Oh well, gives me an excuse to order the front brake upgrades in a few weeks when my Bday rolls around

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.