View Single Post
Old 11-14-2020, 12:48 PM   #14

No, no electrical work. I had never removed the tank before this. I always hear the fuel pump cycle.

Latest update:

Bike wouldn't start this morning. I loosened the side panels and slid the tank back, then propped it up vertically to check for kinked lines. No kinks. I pushed on all the connectors, and everything was properly seated. I tapped on the fuel filter. I sat the tank back down, turned the ignition on, and it started immediately.

So, I'm thinking this is a fueling issue. Either the injector or the fuel pump... but I'm leaning towards the fuel pump. I've read that the sock can deteriorate when a bike sits for a long time with the same fuel in it, and then it gets sucked into the pump and clogs it up. And this bike did sit a lot before I bought it from you. I'm betting that sloshing the fuel around and upending the tank is what allowed the bike to start. I'm going to get a siphon pump to drain the fuel out and then remove the tank and inspect the fuel pump to see if the sock is present and accounted for.

I'm not sure how a fueling issue can cause my catalyst to burn out, but if the whole problem is a faulty fuel pump I will be THRILLED. Easy and cheap to fix.

Charles.