View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 08:59 PM   #9

Re: CDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahamaster
I think I've stumbled into the right place. I was looking for a replacement bulb for my Zong Sierra 200, and low and behold I found just the right link here. Thank You…
You are welcome.
Quote:
…I'd like to pose a new question since you are an experienced Zong owner & fixer, have you had any problems with the electric starter?? My electric start absolutely refuses to work during the cold winter months. It will barely crank over in the mornings and won't fire at all...it might pop and hiss, but I have to kick start it every time. However, at night after the temps are more pleasant, it'll usually fire right up.

I'm in Phoenix, so when I say "cold" winter mornings it's in the 40's here…
No, I have not had problems with the electric starter on my Zong. My bike starts easily in much colder temperatures. I am inclined to agree with Allen, and Frostbite; it sounds as if your battery is weak.
Quote:
…Thanks for the CDI tip...I will look for a couple right away…
It’s a good idea to have an extra Zong CDI on hand; several of the CDI units have failed. It’s nice to have a replacement handy, so you can plug in the new CDI and go riding, instead of waiting for a replacement to arrive. Also, an extra CDI helps a great deal with troubleshooting ignition problems.
Quote:
…I've got about 6500 miles on my Zong Sierra and I love this bike. Maybe it's down on power, but I've only got a short commute to work, so it's perfect. Not to mention that I can fill my tank for around $3…
The Zong is a great little motorcycle. However, you can definitely get more pep from this engine. The least expensive way to get better performance is to switch to a 13-tooth, or 14-tooth countershaft sprocket. You can also get better performance by ditching the heavy, highly restrictive muffler, and substituing an FMF Turbine Core 2 spark arrestor. Also, if you have not done so, I strongly encourage you to check the valve clearance. Tight valves can not only damage your engine; they can also lower engine compression, and make your bike harder to start.
Quote:
…Mine is an '06, orange model and I just repainted it over the Xmas break yellow. (yellow and black paint scheme really looks sharp--plus, I'm a Steeler fan so everything matches now)…
I can tell you are a fine, intelligent gentleman, DaHa. Not only do you own a Zong, but you are also a Steelers fan! If you get the time, please do post some photos of your repainted Zong; we love photos!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894