View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 10:21 PM   #11

Re: CDI Failure...

Thanks for the replies gents. The consensus seems to be the battery. I've already replaced the battery with a YAUSA YB-7 (lead acid), late last summer when I started having problems. That hasn't fixed the problem...and I charge the battery once a month. Even with a fresh charge it won't start in the mornings. Once it's fired up and the engine is warm, I can restart it with the starter (for ex. if the engine dies at a stop light-which it does alot on a cold engine). But once the engine is warmed up, I don't have any problems with the starter. If it was the starter, I'd think it would be consistent?

Can you suggest a better, heavy duty battery? (YUASA doesn't make a gel battery replacement for the YB7) I'm not a mechanic and I don't know how to diagnose electrical problems. I can try another battery.

I did have a big problem starting the bike after it had sat in Grandpa's garage for two weeks while I drove my truck. The bike started right up but only ran for about 15 seconds. Then it would not start at all-even kicking. It was a bear, but I finally got it to fire and it got me home. And then it was fine the next morning...started up on the first kick. I don't know...I'm not a mechanic, so everything is just a guess.

That's also a super nice mod with the XT225 swingarm! Wow. You guys really know what you're doin'. That's a major task.

Here's my bike with its new paint scheme [was orange] which I did myself on Xmas weekend-I'm really impressed with how it came out...darn near perfect. No runs, no drips, no errors as Krylon used to say. Yellow really looks sharp.

The only other mods that I could do (within my ability) are the additional Baja lights on the front (a MUST for night riding but really drain the battery--maybe that's my problem???) and the milk crate basket (which is the perfect luggage carrier) And there's even room for my tool bag and rain gear bag which are both attached with caribeaner clips. (the only casualties were the tank graphics...no way I could mask those out to save 'em)