View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 12:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahamaster
...Can you suggest a better, heavy duty battery? (YUASA doesn't make a gel battery replacement for the YB7) I'm not a mechanic and I don't know how to diagnose electrical problems. I can try another battery…
Since the Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 is a close copy of the Yamaha TW200, you can learn a lot by searching the TW200 forum. For example, here is an interesting thread concerning battery choices for the Zong/TW200.

http://tw200forum.com/forums/19632/ShowPost.aspx

Quote:
...I did have a big problem starting the bike after it had sat in Grandpa's garage for two weeks while I drove my truck. The bike started right up but only ran for about 15 seconds. Then it would not start at all-even kicking. It was a bear, but I finally got it to fire and it got me home. And then it was fine the next morning...started up on the first kick. I don't know...I'm not a mechanic, so everything is just a guess…
I suspect the CDI unit might be ready to fail. I encourage you to get one, or two, spare CDI units as quickly as you can, then substitute a new CDI, and see if it solves the problem. My Zong idled erratically, and exhibited occasional starting problems before it failed. It is also very nice to have a spare CDI unit available purely for troubleshooting purposes.
Quote:
...That's also a super nice mod with the XT225 swingarm! Wow. You guys really know what you're doin'. That's a major task…
Thank you. I was very fortunate to have my good friend Andy, a professional mechanic, design, fabricate, and weld the lower shock mount assembly to my bike’s frame.
Quote:
...Here's my bike with its new paint scheme [was orange] which I did myself on Xmas weekend-I'm really impressed with how it came out...darn near perfect. No runs, no drips, no errors as Krylon used to say. Yellow really looks sharp…
Thank you for posting the photos, Daha. Indeed, your bike looks great! Please tell me, what paint did you use? Also, how did you prepare the plastic for painting? I repainted my Zong with Krylon Fusion, and Valspar spray paints.

Quote:
...The only other mods that I could do (within my ability) are the additional Baja lights on the front (a MUST for night riding but really drain the battery--maybe that's my problem???)…
The Baja lights look great; I bet they really help illuminate the roadway at night! However, as you suspect, they might be draining your battery. I think Allen has a good idea concerning the float charger.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894