View Single Post
Old 05-07-2016, 04:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Racer View Post
Thanks for the reply 2LZ

It seems the first offering of the Rhino was put together with left over inventory from the 250D line at the start. Think it's why why specs are varied. TaoTao seems to be stream lining there offerings. Not sure if I am receiving an early model or current production.

Won't buy any parts until the Rhino is in my possession. I have read enough contradicting specs in the last weeks to make my head spin.

I have read lots about the oil but still am not sure what brand and weight to use. I always flush the oil my new Predator engines and am strict on changing oil very frequently. My small engines have seemed to like it and all lasted a very long time.

I have heard some say the engine doesn't like NGK plugs so a little lost there. I have always used them with no trouble.

Was planning on the valve adjust after first starting it and seeing where it's at. This is ok right?

Read elsewhere that flushing the stock brake fluid and changing to silicone brake fluid makes a big difference. Sounds good but not sure about it.

And I understand that the engine needs 91 octane or higher.

When I know I will not be using a small engine for some time I will idle with the fuel shutoff. It does seem to eliminate most issues on all my small engines to run the fuel out of the carb and not let it sit to long.

I also plan on changing the fuel line to a better grade. Chain too with the sprocket upgrade.

Let me know if any of that is good or bad.

Yeah that sprocket Funonemax has looks nice.. I can get aluminum Azuza blanks nearby from Jacks Small Engines for the rear sprocket and machine them to fit nicely with my mill. Just not sure how many teeth I need. Or what chain size mine will come with. Reading either 530 or 520 chain. The bank out of the creek is a bit steep. But if all else fails I have the winch to get me out. I was able to do it with the Baja with the trailer in tow.

Definitely not looking for highway speeds. The Rhino will be run mostly in the 10mph and lower range in true mule fashion.

Yeah the Baja is a fun bike. I always see them up on Craigslist cheap. With the 212cc motor and the TAV2 it's a beast. I have the spring set on low speed and high torque. It runs it about as fast as I'm willing to run on open roads. It's fun cruising around with on the dirt roads. I galled the go kart clutch on it first trip out. The TAV2 made a huge difference, so did the larger rear sprocket.... it just doesn't like the creek crossings when the belt starts to slip. That part has been a thorn in my side for a long time and a push for me to go the chain drive ATV route. It's served me well but time to move on.

LOL it almost was converted to a Grasshopper ATV like this... the converter belt slipping was the only reason I didn't give it a try.
What a cool little cruiser that green unit is!

Specs on China bike sites are inaccurate at best. I think there's a lot of cutting, pasting and guessing tha goes into it. I'm not sure what Tao Tao's up to. I quit trying to keep up with CB's, year to year, a long time ago. My Rhino has two lower shock mounts in the front for a higher or lower height setting. I kept mine on the low and it still clears most everything.

Oil, your best bet, especially with a new motor is probably any 15W/40. I run either the Rotella or the Walmart house brand, Super Tech. After break in, I usually go to synthetic (Rotella T6)....but that's just my preference. Many here run the 15W/40 diesel oil forever and their motors last a long time, like Spuds 70,000 mile Zong Sierra.

Nothing wrong with keeping good, clean oil. They hold so little it's cheap insurance.
I've always had excellent luck with NGK plugs. I saw a sales rep fire one imersed in oil once and that did it for me. Especially at the time having nothing but two strokes, SOLD! I have an iridium n Q right now with no issues and my Hondoids have the regular NGK's in them. The stock plugs these come with are as good as the oil they come with! ;-)

Regarding the valves, may as well run it and see how it runs. Odds are they're tight though. For some reason, all of my Hondoids have been like that out-of-box. Just make sure and adjust them ice cold, after sitting overnight.

I've never changed my brake fluid (probably should) but I'd NOT recommend going with DOT 5 (silicone) like a Harley uses. I switched to 3 from 5 on my old Harley chopper once and it turned to jello overnight, AFTER I flushed out the 5! Had to replace the entire line and rebuild both calipers. That sucked.... I'd stick with DOT 3 or 4.

Good idea on the fuel line. I usually change all my CB fuel libnes because in the olden days, it was garbage...but the Rhino line seemed pretty nice AND came with an inline filter!. I'm keeping an eye on it though.....

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350