View Single Post
Old 05-20-2016, 11:30 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
In the name of scientific research I took the Zong out for a ride, with stops to measure the temperature of various parts of the engine and cooling system. Overall this was an hour of riding with a couple 3-4 minute breaks. I used an IR meter that has been pretty accurate in the past.

Bottom line, the engine never got hot enough to burn off fuel or moisture in the oil. Note that the measurements on the left engine cover really do not show the oil temp whereas the measurements on the right engine cover do. I'm not sure why the water pump housing was hotter than the left radiator or, the one time I measured it, the right radiator. That housing must be picking up heat from the exhaust pipe.

At Interstate speeds for about 15 minutes the gauge was showing two bars above the one for COLD, that changed to three bars as I slowed some.
Thanks for taking the measurements, and posting your data, Peter.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894