View Single Post
Old 04-15-2024, 05:47 PM   #1

Templar 250 X stuff that doesn't work.

This exhaust. https://www.amazon.com/Full-Slip-Exh...7MGCQZW7&psc=1

I didn't buy it there, I got one like 75% off at a local auction. The primary coming off the head U-turns right into the frame down tube.

Hammer there was needed to convince the stock pipe to slide forward in the frame without taking a lot of stuff loose. It comes out. For some reason the welds on the midship pipe mount snapped right off the pipe. Even before I hit anything. Takes a some gentle bonks to go back in too. Even after I tweaked it a smidge in a vise. I didn't want to distort it too much, I was afraid of losing my seal at the head.

The idea was was to replace the converter with that lead pipe. Turned out to be unnecessary as the insides of the converter accidentally fell out after I cut the pipe open. Ignore the guilty looking bigass drill bits there, they had nothing to do with it officer, I swear.

I was told stainless would be awful to weld but it wasn't. Anticipating I might make a mess off that AND lose my heat shield I had ordered some pipe wrap. Even though my welds weren't shameful I used it anyway. Midship bracket Migged back on just fine, original looked Tigged but that's not in my skill set. Apparently not so much for the original fella at the factory either.

So since there is already someone on here trying to sell one of these exhaust pipe setups, I figured I had little to lose. Not at all obvious in the pictures of it but right about at the midship bracket the pipe bells out to a larger diameter. This means the muffler won't swap onto the stock pipe, the inlet is way too big. So I ground off the bracket and cut the bell part out. Stuck it in the muffler and wrangled things around until it actually fit pretty well. Not quite wanting to weld that rig up yet, I used high temp RTV to seal it. If I like it long term I might revisit with some welds and better fitment. Neither the stock muffler spring not the newer one is now long enough. Leaving that off for now, everything seems pretty solid without it.

(Took a few to find where that other heat shield bolt rolled away to.)

So the muffler part of it kinda sorta fits. Louder than stock, Yet to road test it. Maybe it won't fall off.

Second thing that doesn't work. Ignition module. Got it off Aliexpress if I remember right. Thought since I had the seat off it was a good time. Popped the ignition fuse as soon as I turned the key on. Yep, wrong one. Didn't need it anyway, I was just going to fiddle with the base advance for the heckuvit.

[img]